Spotlight Youth Theater understands the need to set goals when offering classes to children 4-18.
- Training children in all areas of performing arts to a high-level standard
- Developing character traits and abilities in individuals
- Treating each individual with respect and significance.
- Teaching students appropriate aged material in order to reach skill benchmarks and advance toward becoming well-rounded in all musical theater disciplines.
- In all of our areas Spotlight offers an Inclusion Program which enables us to serve students with special needs. For details contact: Customer Service –
Spotlight Youth Theater stands in the forefront in its commitment to the highestOur teachers are: - Energetic, motivated, highly-skilled, passionate professionals
ethical, moral, technical and artistic standards of excellence.
- Education and training from a variety of Universities including: Wheaton College, DePaul University, Milikin University, Illinois Wesleyan University, Ohio Northern University, Roosevelt University and many others.
- Each applicant goes through an extensive interview and background check
- Prepared for teaching with Spotlight through resources, training videos and materials.
- Individual Area Teacher Bios are available off of their class listing's page.
- Teacher Bio’s
Basics: - Register for classes here and pay by credit card or mail in check.
- Registration confirmation is sent via e-mail. Confirmations are posted to your mySpotlight accounts.
- Classes are subject to change or cancellation based on enrollment.
- No refunds are given after the second week of class. There is a $25 service charge for cancellations. If you audition for the production, no refund will be given.
- Certain classes have prerequisites. Please check specific area class listing
- In our Class catalog, each Class has a list of Benchmarks that the teacher will use in planning for their class. It is the goal that the students will learn a varied amount of each benchmark, this varies depending on the group of students. View Class Catalog
- 1st day of class, please bring your medical release form and turn into Area Coordinator.
- Age levels for classes are firm. A child must be the age level of the class before the end of that current session.
- If a child misses more than 3 classes they cannot participate in showcase.
Choosing the RIGHT Class
As you choose classes, keep the following tips in mind:
- Grab it when you can! With over 80 classes available in our class catalog, we have a wide variety to offer. Within each session there is are selections from our "Core" list; Drama, Voice, Dance and Musical Theater; as well as a few specialty classes. So, because of our many offerings, if you see a specific class that interests you, it would be good to take it because it might not be offered again for another year!
- Think outside the box. When students first enter into Spotlight they gravitate towards classes in which they are interested, which is awesome! However, as students grow it is important to take classes in areas where they might not be as developed. For the singer who always takes a voice class, their vocal range and skills might be highly trained, yet, dancing is a struggle for them. Taking a variety of classes in different areas will help them be a more well-rounded performer and better prepare them for auditions.
- Play it Again, Sam! Professional actors, dancers and singers are constantly and forever training, it is an ongoing and life process. If you have taken a Drama 2, go ahead and take it again! The "themes" (Seussical, Footloose, etc) give each class a different feel while focusing on the refining a core skill set. Fine-tuning your abilities in delivering a monologue or digging deep into character development will only improve your knowledge and give you more variety in portraying a character.
We offer discounts for signing up early and for multiple registrations of siblings.
These discounts will be applied automatically.
Early Bird Fee: $160 – when registered 2 weeks prior to class start date.
Standard Fee: $175
Sibling Discount: $25
Multiple Registration: $15
Refunds are given with a $25 processing fee or you can choose a refund voucher for the full amount. No refunds will be given after the 2nd week of classes or after your child auditions. If Spotlight cancels a class we will put you in your 2nd choice and notify you. If your class is canceled you do have the option for a full refund.
Financial Aid is available to qualifying families. Click here to apply.
Spring 2013 Class Locations